Sunday, April 13, 2014

Grace's Corn Dogs {Kid Friendly, and Baked not Fried}


I just realized I've been doing a lot of recipes lately.  I dunno, I guess that's just what I've been up to. This weekend, my two oldest decided they would pick a new recipe from their kid's cookbook and make it this week (with mommy supervising, of course). First up: Corn Dogs.
We've never made these before. The recipe called for Grand's Corn Biscuits which we could not find at the store so I searched online for homemade batter. I ended up combining a few different recipes and then modifying it to fit what we wanted, ie: baked, not fried, no fancy ingredients, simple enough for a kid to do, etc.

This is what we came up with and 4 out of 6 taste testers thought they were delicious.


Grace's Corn Dogs
popsicle sticks
16 hot dogs (2 packages)

Combine 1 cup cornmeal, 2 cups flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, 1/4 cup sugar, and 4 teaspoons baking powder. Stir in 1 egg and 1 cup milk.

Put some flour in a small bowl and roll dogs in flour to lightly coat (it helps the batter stick). Insert sticks into dogs and twist in batter, coating well. Place on greased cookie sheet. Bake 15 minutes at 350'. Serve with ketchup and mustard. Makes 16 corn dogs.


I think it would also be fun to cut the dogs into bite size pieces and dip in batter for appetizers.

It was fun having my daughter make these and seeing how proud she was when (mostly) everyone gobbled them up!

By the way, have you ever heard this song? (It keeps going through my head) "Corn dogs, corn dogs, they are so good to me! Corn dogs, corn dogs, they are so good to me! Good when they're hot! Good when they're cold! Good when they're fresh! Good when they're old! Corn dogs, corn dogs, they are so good to me!"

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

{Please do not post any personal information including family names, where I live, etc. And if you are not a registered user, please let me know who you are.} NOW... Tell me what you think!!